GLIMPSES FROM THE HISTORY
THE JOURNEY FROM
Design of the boarding house had following features, It was known as Block:
THE BIRTH OF AITCHISON COLLEGE
THE FIRST BATCH.
Classification:-The 1st batch classification took place on 18th Oct as under:
AITCHISON COLLEGE (13th November, 1886)
N.B: Saturday, half-holiday. Sunday holiday.
1887: - The construction of the College main buildings started,
1888: - HE, Sir Charles Umpherston Aitchison paid a farewell visit to the college.
1889: - The Headmaster Mr. Kirthee Singh was appointed Superintendent of the Boarding Houses on 21st June. He had Musahibs to assist him.
1890: - The school building containing a hall, library and 10 x classrooms were completed alongwith a hospital and a gymnasium.
1891: - Aina-Hind, a vernacular newspaper, published details of Ruling Chiefs and Sons reasons for not attending the College. The details are also mentioned in the Civil & Military Gazettee of December, 1890.
1892: - The game of football was introduced.
1893: - Students led a mutiny against their masters and vice versa. The Headmaster elected to resign in 1894, five of the students were expelled and a number of others were warned.
1894: - The Founder’s Day Sports events had eight annas as an entry fee.
1895: - The pay scale was
1896: - Water courses were laid for systematic watering of the five playing fields.
1897: - Guardians were appointed for the sons of high-ranking chieftains. He was also known as, ‘Guardian of Manners’.
1898: - Mrs. Dunlop Smith & Miss Aitchison, daughters of Sir Charles Umpherston Aitchison were present at the Founders Day Sports.
1899: - Proposal to construct the Headmaster’s residence near the boarding houses was floated in the inspection report at an approximate cost of Rs15000/- only.
1901: - The keeping of fire arms by the Kumars was banned in the college.
1902: - The Mohammedan boys were also lodged in Boarding House No.2.
1904: - The post of Governor was abolished.
*Note: At Rajkot this designation was used for personal attendants.
1905: - A dinner was held in honour of old boys after the annual sports event, which gave birth to ACOBA.
1906: - The appointment of Musahibs, was done away with, as they were found to be lacking in education.
1907: - A Sikh mess was started.
1908: - His Highness, Raja of Suket, a late student of the College, provided a sum of money from whose interest a gold medal would be presented to the student annually. It will be given to the students taking first position in Science and Mathematics subjects. It was named ‘DANE BHIMA MEDAL’.
1909: - A sports contingent from Mayo College Ajmer arrived to take part in Founders Day Sports. The party consisted of 4xStaff members, 18xStudents and 26xServants.
1910: - The foundation stone of Temple and Dharamsala was laid by H.H. Maharaja of Darbhanga, and H.H. Maharaja of Patiala on 3rd January respectively. The building were constructed by P.W.D.
1911: - A part of the college estate was leased to Punjab Light Horse Regiment for parade purposes but was also available for use by the College riding school.
1913: - Electricity was provided to the College at an estimated cost of Rs.19,000/-.
1914: - The system of appointing Junior House Masters was launched, to replace Musahibs.
1916: - The mess rear portion was used for dining and front portion as a recreation room.
1917: - Prefects system was introduced.
1918: - The number of prefects was raised from 4 to 6, e.g. 2 per boarding house and 1 for day boys House.
Mr. Parmpal Singh was the prefect for the outside house.
1920: - College Hockey team visited Patiala – No result.
1921: - Aitchison during its visit to Ajmer won the Kanwar Challenge Cup.
1922: - War memorial tablets were unveiled by H.E. Maharaja of Patiala in the Main Building on 6th December, 1922.
1923: - Swimming bath was operational. College buildings were more or less complete.
1924: - The Mayo College withdrew from the Patiala Challenge Shield.
1925: - Attendance in Temple and Gurdwara were made compulsory.
1927: - Malik Chiragh Khan Debating Cup was introduced for best debater in English.
1928: - Sayyid Muhammad Jafar Shah, a distinguished Aitchisonian and an ace Hockey Olympian was awarded the following awards:
1929: - Rivaz Medal was not awarded.
1930: - In the North India Olympia Water Polo Competition the Aitchison College team won the competition.
1932: - In January, Boarding House Number 3 was closed temporarily as a measure of retrenchment and shortage of boys, but was again opened in October.
1934: - Prefect system was improved; each house had a senior and a house prefect.
1935: - The college main building was renamed as Aitchison Hall.
1936: -College published its first college magazine named ‘Pioneer’ under Ch.Atta Ullah Khan’s guidance. He was also the Assistant House Master Kelly House.
(These were named after the respective Principals of the College)
1937: - Dormitories in L.J House were long and airy; It had two rooms and an almirah with two bathrooms. Matrons occupied two front rooms. Boys initially had meals in Kelly House mess.
1938: - Green cemented floor in L.J House was laid replacing darries and mattress floor.
1939: - Foundation stone was laid for new academic block in the Senior School.
1940-41: - New classrooms block (Barry Block) for seniors was inaugurated.
1942: - Mrs. Russel (Housemistress) worked hard to develop the three boarding houses. Her mother gifted teak benches as a farewell gift to the college which was placed outside the boarding houses and elsewhere.
1944: - Anwar Sikandar Khan, Headmaster Senior School stayed at Fanny Villa, Simla East, during his visit.
1945: - Aitchison College and Patiala College Cricket teams celebrated Golden Jubilee by playing a friendly match.
1947: - The ground opposite Jaffar Memorial was used as parade ground.
1948: - Barry Block was completed.
1949: - Sports fixtures with Pakistan Military Academy was held.
1950: - The work on Syed Jalal ud Din Haider Oriental library started.
1951: - Work on planting a fruit garden started.
1954: - The College had an unintentional holiday. It had 16 inches of rainfall in 24 hours. No work could be done for 4 days and games were interrupted for 10 days.
1956: - Mr. Chou En Lai visited the college.
1960: - Junior School is constructed at a place, where earlier the mango orchard had been.
1963: - Matric system reintroduced.
1964: - Junior School building was inaugurated by Field Marshal Ayub Khan.
1965: - Indo-Pak War; The College was closed and some teachers were sent to Rawalpindi to hold Senior Cambridge and Higher Secondary Classes. They returned by 1st Nov, 1965 without the need being felt.
1967: - Average daily cost of Aitchison meal was between rupees two to three.
1973: - A modern Physics laboratory was gifted by Syed Zulfiqar Ali Bokhari and Syed Iftikhar Ali Bokhari in memory of their late father, Major Syed Mubarak Ali Shah.
|Copyright 2008 © Aitchisonian.com|